As a result of an ageing population and an increase in the size of estates, we are seeing an increasing number of clients needing advice on the administration of estates and trusts, and wishing to challenge the actions of others.
This is a specialist area, and even solicitors who regularly deal with probate work may not have the expertise to deal with disputes and claims affecting the estate (contentious probate) which need to be resolved in court.
We have had experience of a significant number of contentious probate cases in recent years, and have achieved notable successes for clients.
The types of claim we can assist with include:
- Challenging a will on the grounds of undue influence or lack of mental capacity
- Applying to the court for a change of executors
- Obtaining directions from the court on points of difficulty relating to estates
- Claims under the Inheritance Act 1975 for dependants who have not received reasonable financial provision under the will
- Lodging applications to prevent probate being obtained when a will is disputed
- Resolving issues in relation to foreign assets
Neil Lloyd-Evans has been admitted as a member of ACTAPS (the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists) in recognition of his expertise in this field.